Wednesday, November 25, 2009

When I Look Back Over My Life...

...I am amazed at the trials and tribulations I have been brought through. When obstacles jump in the middle of the road I get somewhat flustered and then I formulate a strategy to get around it. Once I arrive at my desired destination I usually don't look back. It's on to the next thing. I believe this is what makes me a strong person. Sometimes, however, it is beneficial to look at where we have come from and what we have come through.

In light of Thanksgiving, I am reflecting on all that I am thankful for.

First and foremost I am thankful for having a personal relationship with God. He has never failed me. He is always available no matter the time of day.

I am thankful for my mother. She has never abandoned me. When I did not know what I wanted to do with my life she stood by my side every step of the way. Each and every time I needed to come home, she did not hesitate to provide shelter. She is my number one motivator. The list of things she has done and continues to do for me is endless.

I am thankful for my son. In five years he has taught me a lot about life and about myself. He is the epitome of unconditional love. He is blind to my shortcomings and seems to understand me when no one else does. I am thankful for each hug and kiss he gives me. He has shown me just how big the small things in life really are.

I am thankful for my health. I am still here, breathing, living, thinking, and seeing. I have all of my senses. I am able to enjoy God's sunrise every morning. I am able to do for myself...walk, talk, communicate, bathe, and feed myself. Many times I have questioned God regarding my illness (blood disorder), but have come to realize that God makes no mistakes. Going through the things I have been through has shown me just how much I can endure. I am thankful for mental and emotional stability. We often ostracize individuals with mental illnesses. It only takes one traumatic event to lead to mental illness. That is my belief. I am sure we have all been through traumatic events in our lives. Things as "normal" as broken relationships. We have gotten through them by some means, but everyone does not have the support system we may have had. Everyone is not as resilient as me or you. So I am thankful for the ability to adapt and cope with certain situations.

I am thankful for my family. There has been a lot of unspoken animosity, hurt, and pain. However, they are the family I was given and I love each and every one of my family members for who they are. I pray that our relationship(s) will continue to strengthen.

I am thankful for all of the prayers that I've prayed that have been answered. I am thankful for the ability to type and share this post. I pray that it will help someone, somewhere.

I wish all of you a wonderful Thanksgiving full of thanks and positiveness!

What are you thankful for?

4 comments:

Chike!! said...

I am thankful for a wonderful friend like you, among other things!!! Nice post Mel!!!

D. said...

Hello this is Derrick. I am thankful for God, family, and friends, and all of those who I have came in contact with. God has bless me. I am just thankful for being alive. I could have been dead and gone, but God has kept me alive. May God bless you, and your family.

Enchantress said...

Thank you Chike...that means a lot to me! I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

Derrick...thank you for your response and your well wishes. I have been reading your blog, but I cannot post a comment. When I click on "post a comment" the page just refreshes.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Related Posts with Thumbnails